Photo Courtesy: Salem_Beliegraphy
I am by no chance a scholar in deen as much as I wish I could be one and maybe one day by Allah’s will I will be able to be but nonetheless, I was listening to what Luqman (A.S) was telling his son as mentioned in the qur’an and it got me thinking; perhaps we would be living better lives if we followed what wise men of olden times and even of the present said to us. And maybe, things would be at their best, if parents would sit down with their children and give them serious lessons on life and morals.
In the qur’an, surat Luqman as from the ayah 13-19, we get to learn from the wise Luqman the most basic advice for mankind in his life. Below I will state the lessons as derived from the ayas and perhaps in shaa Allah we can learn from it.
1. Do not worship anything apart from Allah nor join others in worship with Allah.
2. Man should be dutiful and good to his parents for they have raised him in hardship upon hardship.
3. Always give thanks to Allah and to your parents as well.
4. If your parents drive you against Allah or that you join others in worship with Him then don’t follow them BUT still treat them with kindness.
5. Allah is able to bring forth anything however hard it may seem to you…(so have faith in Him).
6. Do perform prayer
7. Enjoin on people all that is good.
8. Forbid people from all that is evil and bad.
9. Do not turn your face from men with pride.
10. Do not walk with insolence or arrogance.
11. Be moderate in your walking.
12. Lower your voice when speaking.
Imagine how life would be if we followed these simple lessons; how we would avoid so many problems if we could keep our voices low even when we are angry or when someone is confronting us, if we treated our parents with utmost respect, if we had total faith in Allah, if we could all correct each other when we go wrong and support others in good deeds, if we could be humble instead of being arrogant or insolent. Just picture the world like that, wouldn’t the world be such an amazing place to live in?? Change starts with me and you, be modest, humble and polite and see how you will be able to spread love and peace even without you knowing 😉