Photo Courtesy: http://www.urbanescapehealing.com/
Many a times we are caught up in the storm of life and we get so much drenched by the fierce winds and the drizzling rain. We become depressed and feel lonely. Many a times we make sacrifices, we care for the wrong people, we belittle ourselves, we love other people and make them a priority more than ourselves and eventually forget our own existence; our own soul that needs to be fed with esteem, self realization and love.
What keeps pulling us behind is the fact that we keep extending our hearts to love someone else more than ourselves. What could be more important than yourself? Isnt it time to give yourself a lifetime treat; time by yourself, time to explore your mind and soul and your imagination. Time to discover yourself, to know what happiness really means to you, time to have a definite focus in life.
A really interesting programme of cheerful and constructive thinking by the late Sibyl F. Partridge-as it appears in Dale Carnegie’s ‘How To Stop Worrying and Start Living’ is called ‘Just For Today’ and it goes as follows:
1. Just for today I will be happy. As Abraham Lincoln said ‘most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.’ Happiness is from within; it is not a matter of externals.
2. Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is and not try to adjust everything to my own desires.
3. Just for today I will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, not abuse it nor neglect it so that it will be a perfect machine for my bidding.
4. Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.
5. Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways. I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do-just for exercise.
6. Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress as becomingly as possible, talk low, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticize not at all, nor find fault with anything and not try to regulate nor improve anyone.
7. Just for today I will live through this day only not to tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things dor twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime.
8. Just for today I will have a programme. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests; hurry and indecision.
9. Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. In this half hour sometimes I will think of God so as to get a little more perspective into my life.
10. Just for today I will be unafraid especially I will not be afraid to be happy, to enjoy what is beautiful, to love and to believe that those I love, love me.
To add one more important point is to make a healthy decision; Decide to yourself that just for today I am going to love me more than anything else in the world. Just for today I will not worry about my past or get anxious over the future. Just for today I will appreciate all the good memories and hard learnt lessons. Just for today I am going to ME.
So just for today, wear the biggest smile on your face irregardless of all your troubles and miseries. Just for today smile to your enemy, smile to your neighbour, smile to the kid playing across the street. Just for today, have time by yourself. Put off your phone, go to a quiet place; could be the beach or holy place of worship, take a walk or rather go for a jog. Go for window shopping, treat yourself with an ice cream even if its your last coin; remember you deserve it. Try something new; something you have never done before, develop new hobbies, make the best use of your today and never worry of the morrow, drop a coin or two to the beggar you meet on the way and most importantly, have time to thank God for all that you have. And always remember that self appreciation comes before anything or anyone else. So just for today, stand by the mirror and look at yourself and say loudly ‘Just for today I will love JUST me and I very well know that when tomorrow comes I will have a brand new ‘today’ to love none more than myself!’
Comment With Facebook